Newton-Bartlett Funeral Home in Newport has been in business since 1876.
David A. Newton established the home at that time and brought his two sons in making it a family run affair as it still is today. Dixi Crosby Newton eventually took over the business from his father and carried on the profession until his death in 1959. He had moved the funeral home to its present location in 1938 following the passing of Newport’s beloved physician, Dr. John Cain, where it was his practice and residence. Most people remember Clinton S. "Junior" Bartlett who became a funeral director in 1942 and then a partner in 1953. He started with Dixi during high school and received his Mortuary Science education at the New England Institute at Kenmore Square in Boston. Mr. Bartlett proceeded to an apprenticeship in Worcester under George Longstreet before returning to Newport. Junior died in 2008 but spent most of his life as a funeral director. Bertha Emond wrote an article in 1977 for the Eagle Times and stated that Junior and his brother, Howard, owned Bartlett Brothers Monuments and Potted Plants while running the funeral home. The photo, shown at the bottom of this page, with the article shows the funeral home in the building to the right of its present location.
Junior was a kind and caring man and we thank him for his many years of service and attention to the families in Newport and the greater community.